Director of Marketing (B2B)
Lead our B2B Marketing Team in Berlin
We’re sorry, but this position has been filled. We’re keeping the document around in order to show this note.
Our product Small Improvements helps employees at Reddit, GetYourGuide, SoundCloud, DISQUS and Twitch give and receive feedback about their work so they can improve and achieve their goals. We’ve signed up 750 clients in 35 countries mainly by word-of-mouth and we’re growing.
Want to make work a better place? Then help us expand our customer base while educating and inspiring HR and people leaders around the world. We’re self-funded and have grown with very limited marketing and sales efforts so far. Imagine the possibilities with you on board!
Who we are
We’re a team of 28 people in Berlin and San Francisco and looking to grow. Our product is a performance feedback platform rolled out company-wide from the intern to the CEO. Our clients’ staff use it to give and receive feedback about their work, to set goals and objectives, organise one-on-one meetings, and to praise each other for a job well done.
We’ve got a very strong product and development team in place, and our support and customer success team is second to none. We’re now in the process of building out marketing and sales. Our product marketing team has grown to 3 people in the past year, and we’re covering the basics well. We’ve focused on content and relationship marketing so far and organized high quality events around the globe. But there is so much more we want to do! We need to (yes, cliché!) take our marketing to the next level, and grow the team further too.
For this to work we need an inspiring and resourceful Director of Marketing.
What you’ll do
The following tasks are central to the role:
- You will own the entire marketing strategy. In the beginning you’ll learn the ropes by fine-tuning existing processes, but over the course of a few months we want you to build and refine an optimal marketing strategy based on our capabilities and needs. You won’t have to start at zero, but there’s a lot to be done..!
- You will run projects. A strategy is worthless unless implemented. You will break things down into actionable chunks and slot them in. We like to keep things small: A two-page outline plus a Trello-board will be sufficient for a 3 month project, and you can come up with that in days rather than weeks or months. You’ll define tasks, follow up at our weekly status meetings, and ensure one work package is delivered before the next one is tackled.
- You will lead people.You will meet every team member for weekly one-on-ones, discussing needs and wishes, listening to feedback, giving feedback, helping manage and achieve goals and objectives, learning and mentoring, and encouraging overall wellbeing and greatness. Beyond the 1:1 relationships, you’ll ensure the team thrives and gels as a whole.
- You will help us grow the team. You will identify gaps, advertise new positions, interview and hire new team members, and you’ll also ensure new hires live up to expectations.
- You will be the go-to person for the rest of the company. You’ll be the interface for everyone who needs input or output from marketing, staying in close touch with product management, sales and development, and you’ll report directly to the CEO. You will present the marketing team’s status at our weekly all-hands meetings, and you’ll always keep an eye and ear open to identify opportunities for cross-team collaboration.
- You will carve out one practical area and get your hands dirty. Despite team growth we’ll always remain a fairly small and efficient marketing team, and nobody can only be a manager. Successful leaders at SI inspire others by also doing practical things on a daily basis. This could be anything from SEO to paid ads, from content to events, or from website to influencer marketing, it’s really your pick. But pick you must. 🙂
Who we’re looking for
You don’t have to tick all the boxes, but we are looking for someone quite special that embodies most of the following:
- You have strong experience in B2B / SAAS Product Marketing. We value consumer goods and e-commerce experience too, but we can’t consider someone who has just limited B2B experience.
- You have led and grown teams of 4 people or more before (…and enjoyed it! 🙂 ). We’re a small company so “David not Goliath” experience is a big plus, and so is experience working with more than one company.
- You have comprehensive experience overseeing all sorts of marketing. From events to content, from paid to PR, from SEO to print, from marketing automation to mail, you’ve seen and managed most of it.
- You write well and concisely, and English is either your native language or you’re pretty close Most of what we do has a written ingredient, so you’ll need to be able to tell good from great, point out problems, and suggest improvements. Ideally you can send us some work samples.
- You’ll need to enjoy learning more about people operations (“HR”), feedback culture, modern workplaces, and what truly motivates people. You can’t excel at the role without understanding our industry. Prior experience is a huge plus, eagerness to learn is a prerequisite.
- You care about the bottom line. We’re not a greedy “revenues-only” company, and we’re in it for the long haul. Experimentation is fine! But we have to pay our bills and salaries, so most of our marketing efforts have to result in relevant prospects learning about our product of course, and this is a KPI that you love working towards.
We’re serious about our open and tolerant company culture, and we value diversity. We’re looking for friendly and bright people who can develop and promote a great product without developing a huge ego.
More reasons to work at SI
- We’re international: We sell mainly to the US and to Australia, all our written communication is in English, and our staff of 28 hails from 16 countries.
- We’re self-funded, transparent and profitable, and our customer base is growing.
- We frequently ship new features and focus on quality product rather than on aggressive sales.
- There are very few regular meetings, and processes are kept to a bare minimum. Need to improve some process? Just do it!
- You’ll participate in our Hackathons and ShipIt weeks, and you’ll contribute to our product blog and to our tech blog.
- Our office near Hackescher Markt is stylish yet cozy, and it has has plenty of doors to reduce distractions to a minimum. Take an office tour.
- There are free snacks, fresh fruit, juices, tea and lemonades, you can make your own lattes with our amazing coffee machine, and we never run out of Club Mate.
And we love to travel! Check out our recent company trip to Canada:
Don’t waste time polishing your CV, your LinkedIn profile will be entirely sufficient. A personal cover letter on the other hand is very important to us, and so is attention to detail. We’d like to know what specifically attracts you to the role, and how you will contribute. Also, we’d love to hear about one or two challenging projects you encountered in the recent past and what you learned. No need to write a novel, one page will be fine. Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re looking forward to hearing from you!