Junior Full Stack Developer @ SI
Help us make work a better place! Small Improvements is turning traditional performance management into an ongoing and positive feedback conversation. We serve 750 customers worldwide, including SoundCloud, Zapier, Vimeo and many more.
We’re now looking for a Junior Full-Stack Developer to help us deliver great features to customers even faster.
Who we are
We’re a passionate and friendly team of 32 people mainly based in Berlin, with some of us working remotely in the US. 750 global customers use Small Improvements to power their feedback culture, and we want to grow. Our product is very user-friendly yet highly configurable, customers roll it out from intern to CEO, and it’s served by a complex backend.
What you’ll do
Do you like backend and frontend-code alike, and are happy to fill in the gaps that you might still have? We’re looking for a Junior Full Stack Developer who loves agile and iterative product development. Help us build great functionality that inspires prospects and keeps customers happy!
You’ll contribute to medium-sized features right away, and our senior developers will guide you towards working on larger tasks independently. You’ll participate at the planning stage of features and make your voice heard. You’ll work closely with designers and with product management, and you’re encouraged to meet and discuss directly with clients too.
Small Improvements offers flexibility and demanding challenges: One quarter you’ll build an entirely new feature, the next quarter you’ll overhaul an existing one, and then you’ll work on nonfunctional requirements such as performance, security or architecture. We’ll ensure you can really play to your strengths.
Our tech stack includes ReactJS, Java 8 on Google App Engine, an increasing share of Node, and we’re taking first steps with serverless cloud functions and with functional programming. You can view our Tech Stack over here, and we’re keen to learn what you can bring to the table!
Who we’re looking for
This is a very hands-on position. You’ll fit in perfectly if:
- You just love to implement features that will make users happy
- You have at least one year of experience on challenging projects (yes, uni projects count too)
- You have a very agile mindset, you like to experiment, and you are fine to build (and shelve) prototypes
- You’re pragmatic and have a history of getting things launched
- You strive for clean code and know how to test thoroughly
- You’re a self-starter who comes up with product improvements on your own
- We don’t expect tons of Java experience as long as you’re fine to learn the basics
We’re serious about our open and tolerant company culture, and we value diversity. We’re looking for friendly and bright people who can develop a great product without developing a huge ego.
More reasons to work at SI
- We’re international: We sell mainly to the US and to Australia, and all our communication is in English.
- We’re self-funded — our only “investors” are our customers
- We frequently ship new features and focus on quality product rather than on aggressive sales.
- You’ll participate in our Hackathons and ShipIt weeks, and you can contribute to our product blog and to our tech blog.
- Our office near Hackescher Markt is stylish yet cozy, and it has has plenty of doors to reduce distractions to a minimum. Take an office tour.
- There are free snacks, fresh fruit, juices, tea and lemonades, you can make your own lattes with our amazing coffee machine, and we never run out of Club Mate.
- We care about our employees’ happiness. Check out Glassdoor about how it’s to work here!
And we love to travel! Check out our recent company trip, and join us by August to join our upcoming Prague trip!
Interested in the position? We’d love to learn more about you! Don’t spend too much time tuning and adjusting your CV — your LinkedIn or Xing profile will be sufficient. We care a lot more about a friendly cover-letter that explains why you’d be a good fit for this role at Small Improvements, and the impact you had and what you learned in your previous company or projects.