Office Manager (20h/week)
Join our Berlin Team
Employees at Marley Spoon, GetYourGuide, SoundCloud, Duolingo and many more use Small Improvements for regular check-ins with their managers, peer feedback, goals setting, and to give each other positive feedback.
Do you want to help making work a better place? You can support us in our mission by being our office champion (and most beloved person in the office :P), ensuring SI employees have a homy and stress-free office experience allowing them to focus on their core tasks.
Who we are
We’re a passionate and friendly team of 32 people mainly based in Berlin, with some employees working remotely in the US. We don’t take ourselves too seriously and work is rarely boring with all our different nationalities and backgrounds!
We care about each other and team happiness is a shared task, so you can expect people to support you in ensuring office operations run smoothly, and contribute with ideas. We value work-life balance and we’ll always try to accommodate to make it work for all of us.
What you’ll do
You will be part of the People Operations team, working alongside Olga, the HR Lead and Nora, the Accounting Coordinator. Together you’ll shape a great employee experience for all Small Improvers, with the goal of sustaining a happy, efficient and successful team and company.
Common tasks include:
- Create the perfect workplace experience so employees can do their best. From ordering drinks and stationary to improving and designing the office, you’re in charge!
- Organize flights and accommodations for our yearly company trip, and assist staff with their professional travels throughout the year
- Be the first point of contact for banks, insurance, telecom providers, handymen and more, and maintain the contact list
- Keep an eye on efficiency and budget, and improve it if need be
- Partner with HR/Compliance/IT to update and maintain our office standards and procedures as necessary (office keys, inventory tracking, emergency procedures…)
- Help making new employees feel welcome in Berlin and SI, especially if they are from abroad
- Assist with internal events planning, such as summer and Holidays parties, regular company breakfasts, lunch & learns, and feature launch events
- Provide a welcoming atmosphere for visitors, greeting guests, distributing mail, receiving deliveries and answering calls
- Be the go-to person for issues needing immediate attention, and boost employees morale
Our main office is close to Hackescher Markt, our new small satellite office is just around the corner, and our US team work remotely. Part of your role is to ensure everyone is part of the fun and has a similarly great employee experience.
We estimate an average workload of around 20 hours per week. Regular availability is quite important for this role, so ideally you can work 4 days a week on average, being present in the office on 3 days at least. There’s some flexibility regarding hours per week though, so with good planning one week can be 16 hours and then the next week 24. Let’s chat about your needs!
We’re growing, so there’s also plenty of opportunity for the role to evolve over time.
Who we’re looking for
We are looking for a friendly and enthusiastic person whom the team can rely on. Previous experience as an Office Manager is obviously a big plus. In addition:
- You are positive, communicative, and love being around people
- You are resourceful and know how to get things done
- You have strong organisational skills – there’s always a lot to be done, so being able to prioritise is important
- You are proactive and don’t just wait for tasks, but look for ways to improve everything all the time
- You are fluent in German and English. Our company language is English, but German is essential to be able to communicate with many suppliers, landlords, insurances, handymen, etc
So in summary, the position is perfect for a person who loves challenging work and dealing with people in a highly international setting, but would like to work part-time due to personal circumstances.
More reasons to work at SI
- Extremely friendly, international and diverse team
- We are self-financed and operate sustainably
- Flexible working hours and the opportunity to do a lot of things at home
- Above average pay, no overtime
- Modern working equipment
- 1000€ training budget per year
- We want to do well by doing good, so we turn down dodgy clients and donate 2% of our profits to charity.
- Our office near Hackescher Markt is stylish yet cozy, and it has has plenty of doors to reduce distractions to a minimum. Take an office tour
- We care about our employees’ happiness. Check-out what they are saying about working here
- There are free snacks, fresh fruit, juices, tea and lemonades, you can make your own lattes with our amazing coffee machine, and we never run out of Club Mate.
And we love to travel! Check out our last company trip:
Before all, we’re interested in knowing how you would fit in with us. So a personal cover letter is more important to us than a perfectly polished resume. We would like you to describe one or two professional challenges from the recent years: what it was, what was your contribution and what you learned. The role requires strong German skills, so please send us either the cover letter or the challenge description in German. The application process will then be partly in German, partly in English. You can send us your application here. Looking forward to hearing from you!