QA Specialist (SaaS)
Hiring for this position has been paused for the time being.
Join our Berlin Team
Our product Small Improvements helps companies like Marley Spoon, GetYourGuide, SoundCloud, DISQUS and Twitch communicate better. We’ve signed up 750 clients in 34 countries, and they are a demanding bunch. Help our four development teams catch bugs, work with PM and Design to create bullet-proof specs, and own the bug inbox.
Who we are
We’re a team of 28 people in Berlin and San Francisco and looking to grow. Our product is a performance feedback & management platform. Our clients’ staff use it to give and receive feedback about their work, to set goals and objectives and to praise each other for a job well done, and we use it internally all the time as well.
What you’ll do
We’re developing complex features for a demanding international audience. Our goal is to make our product as userfriendly as possible, while giving admins a lot of flexibility. We care strongly about quality and have built a very solid product over the years. But sometimes bugs slip through, or certain feature permutations don’t make sense to begin with. We need your help!
- You will join our teams during the feature kick-off, and ask tough questions right there, and point out risks you see
- You’ll evaluate our feature proposals, specifications and prototypes for consistency, and ensure that nothing was left out
- You’ll analyse features while they are being built, and point our flaws and omissions, especially looking at edge cases
- Once a features approaches launch, you’ll look for quirks in different browsers, operating systems, and device sizes, and ensure documentation matches the feature
- You’ll analyse feedback from beta customers and after the rollout, and turn it into actionable tasks for the dev team
- You’ll own the “bug inbox”, working closely with support, development and PM to ensure bugs are reproduced, fixed and customers are happy
Beyond the core aspects of the role, we love to give everyone opportunities so they can play to their strengths. Once the bases are covered, you’re welcome to contribute either on the customer-facing side, or to get move involved with product management, or to help out with design.
Who we’re looking for
Most of all, we’re looking for a nice and great person who will have a positive impact on our product.
In more detail, we feel the following aspects are important (but, as everyone can err, we’re also fine to be proven wrong)
- You have two years (or more) of relevant experience in quality assurance of advanced web products – prior experience in development, pm, or support would be a plus
- You’re proactive, resourceful, and make yourself heard – you can work with minimal guidance
- You’re patient and methodical, you have a good eye for detail and a knack for usability
- You enjoy figuring out how things really work, especially when there’s no manual
- You can prioritize issues and motivate your decisions based on business impact. You’re able to push hard for critical bugs to get fixed, while being relaxed about “small stuff”
- You have great English speaking and writing skills – everything we do is in English after all
Bonus points: The following items are entirely optional but would impress us:
- experience working with internet security issues
- UI & usability experience
- test automation
More reasons to work at SI
- We’re international: We sell mainly to the US and to Australia, and all our written communication is in English.
- We’re self-funded, transparent and profitable, and our customer base is growing.
- We frequently ship new features and focus on quality product rather than on aggressive sales.
- There are very few regular meetings, and processes are kept to a bare minimum. Need to improve some process? Just do it!
- You’ll participate in our Hackathons and ShipIt weeks, and you’re welcome to contribute to our product blog and to our tech blog.
- Our office near Hackescher Markt is stylish yet cozy, and it has has plenty of doors to reduce distractions to a minimum. Take an office tour.
- There are free snacks, fresh fruit, juices, tea and lemonades, you can make your own lattes with our amazing coffee machine, and we never run out of Club Mate.
And we love to travel! Check out our recent company trip:
Don’t waste time polishing your CV, your LinkedIn profile will be entirely sufficient. A personal cover letter on the other hand is very important to us, and so is attention to detail. We’d like to know what specifically attracts you to the role, and how you will contribute. Please also tell us about one or two challenging projects you have worked on and how they might relate to our work. No need to write a novel, brief and casual is definitely preferred. You can send us your application here. Looking forward to hearing from you!