Team Lead – Full Stack
Join the team in Berlin
This position has been filled. We are still looking for senior developers who love taking on a lot of responsibility, but we have filled our need for a team/people lead.
We help our customers communicate better. We serve GoEuro, OpenTable, Marley Spoon, GetYourGuide and 700 more. Our product is rolled out company-wide, from the intern to the CEO.
Do you like backend and frontend-code alike, do you see business side, and can you inspire people? We’re now looking for a Full Stack Team Lead who wants to code some 50% of the time and lead a small team too.
Who we are
We’re a team of 25 people on 3 continents and looking to grow. Our product is a feedback platform. Our clients’ staff use it to give and receive feedback about their work, to set goals and objectives and to praise each other for a job well done. (We use it internally too of course.) It’s a userfriendly product, enabled by a very configurable and complex backend.
What you’ll do
You’ll be in charge of a team of 4, developing medium-sized features right away, and within months you’ll tackle some of our hardest problems.
You’ll participate at the planning stage of features and refactorings and make your voice heard. You’ll work closely with designers and with product management, and if you’re keen you can meet and discuss with clients too.
You’ll spend roughly 50% of the time developing, the other half you’ll be working with the team, conducting 1:1s, organising planning meetings and retrospecitves, helping with hiring, organising the work in general, and keeping everyone happy and engaged.
Small Improvements offers flexibility and interesting challenges: One quarter your team will build an entirely new feature, the next quarter you’ll refine an existing one, and then you’ll work on nonfunctional requirements such as performance, security or architecture for a while.
Our tech stack includes Java on Google App Engine, Spring, Groovy & Spock, Elastic Search, Kibana, Gradle, React, Gulp, Webpack and some Node. Learn more on our Tech Stack page.
Who we’re looking for
This is a very hands-on position. You’ll fit in perfectly if:
- You just love to code, and improve every day. You are either very strong on the frontend (React) or on the backend (Java)
- You have at least 3 (ideally far more) years of experience coding fast-paced web applications and products
- You have managed a small team for at least 18 months already, and can share success stories and failures alike
- You strive for clean code and know how to test thoroughly
- You have worked with agile processes and in small companies
- You’re pragmatic and have a history of getting things launched
- You’re an excellent communicator, both in writing and in person
- You’re driven to succeed, but you’re humble and understand that it’s not about you but about the team
- You can provide strong references both from people you led and from your senior managers
We’re serious about our open and tolerant company culture, and we value diversity. We’re looking for friendly and bright people who can develop a great product without developing a huge ego.
More reasons to work at SI
- We’re international: We sell mainly to the US and to Australia, and all our written communication is in English.
- We’re self-funded, transparent and profitable, and our customer base is growing.
- We frequently ship new features and focus on quality product rather than on aggressive sales.
- There are very few regular meetings, and processes are kept to a bare minimum. Need to improve some process? Just do it!
- You’ll participate in our Hackathons and ShipIt weeks, and you’ll contribute to our product blog and to our tech blog.
- Our office near Hackescher Markt is stylish yet cozy, and it has has plenty of doors to reduce distractions to a minimum. Take an office tour.
- There are free snacks, fresh fruit, juices, tea and lemonades, you can make your own lattes with our amazing coffee machine, and we never run out of Club Mate.
And we love to travel! Check out our recent company trip to San Francisco:
We’d love to find our perfect match! Please write a nice cover letter to explain why you’d be a good fit. No need for a detailed CV — your Xing/LinkedIn profile is totally sufficient. But do spend some time on explaining one or two of your major challenges as a team lead in the past two or three years: What was it about, how did you approach and solve it, what have you learned. One page will be sufficient.
Please send us your relevant details to email@example.com