Visual Designer (Freelance)
Sorry, this position is almost filled and we don’t accept new applications.
Work with our team in Berlin
Employees at Marley Spoon, GetYourGuide, SoundCloud, Duolingo and many more use Small Improvements to give and receive meaningful feedback, structure 1:1 meetings, set goals, and praise each other for a job well done.
Who we are
We’re a passionate and friendly team of 32 people mainly based in Berlin, with some employees working remotely in the US. We don’t take ourselves too seriously and work is rarely boring with all our different nationalities and backgrounds!
We’re now looking for a freelance Visual Designer to help us keep and raise the level of our brand.
What you’ll do
You will mostly collaborate with our Design and Marketing teams. Most projects will be owned by the Marketing team but your main contact person will be Paulo, our Design Lead who oversees the visual brand.
As a Freelance Visual Designer, your focus will be on designing for all outwards facing materials (website, social media, printed and digital collateral, etc.) as well as some occasional internal materials (stationary, company swag, etc). More specifically:
- Update and maintain the design of the website and blog: From small projects like “mock up a new landing page similar to the others” or “update assets for our customer logos section” to larger projects like “re-design the customer testimonials area as a whole” or working on a global website refresh.
- Create brochures and printed banners (from first ideas to production-ready files)
- Create digital banners (i.e. for Twitter ads, Retargeting ads, assets for social media and partner websites, etc)
- Ebook and general PDF content creation
- Business card updates
- Slides/Presentation templates (for internal but also external presentations)
- Other internal materials: stationary, office signage/branding, swag, etc.
Who we’re looking for
We’re looking for a friendly and bright person who can develop great work and have a good working dynamic with the team. You don’t have to tick allthe boxes, but we’re looking for someone who embodies most of the following:
- Aligned with our visual identity – Above all, we favor finding someone that shows a great sense of graphic style and has the ability to come up with tasteful solutions with ease over someone with decades of technical knowledge that shows little ability to receive creative direction.
- Attention to detail
- Based in Berlin – You are able to join us in our headquarters for an initial on-boarding, bigger project kickoffs and check-ins or to just work with us every now and then.
- Interested in a long term partnership – Even though you will be working as a freelancer, you are someone who can become a regular help, learn our ways, and build a solid relationship with us. Naturally, you also understand and embrace the fact that creating a solid brand is as much about the tiny day-to-day updates as it is about the big and exciting ones.
- Strong in designing for web – No need for HTML/CSS skills, but the ideal person understands what’s possible on the web and what’s not, how mobile works, and so on. A big slice of the work will be related to our website and it’s important you have a solid understanding of its limitations and how to properly brief our developers.
- Good print production knowledge – You are able to design for the printed medium (print banners, fabric, brochures and the like), and so you understand how printers work, what their requirements are, etc.
More reasons to work with SI
- We’re international: We sell mainly to the US and to Australia, and all our written communication is in English.
- We’re self-funded, transparent and profitable, and our customer base is growing.
- Our office near Hackescher Markt is stylish yet cozy, and it has has plenty of doors to reduce distractions to a minimum. Take an office tour.
- For the days when you visit us, there are free snacks, fresh fruit, juices, tea and lemonades, you can make your own lattes with our amazing coffee machine, and we never run out of Club Mate.
Don’t brood over a perfect cover letter or CV. You won’t need those. Instead, shoot us a brief message here that highlights one or two interesting challenges that you faced recently, how you overcame them, and what you’ve learned from them. Don’t write more than a page, brief and casual is definitely preferred. Include your portfolio link and that’s it. We’ll be in touch!