Customer Support Representative (Remote — US based)
Join our (remote) customer team
This role has been filled! Sorry.
Small Improvements helps employees grow and succeed. We provide 750 companies worldwide with a feedback platform so their employees can learn from each other and grow professionally. SoundCloud, Twitch, Marley Spoon, GetYourGuide and many more use our SAAS solution company-wide — from the intern to the CEO.
Who we are
We’re a company of 30 people in Berlin and the US. Our product is a performance feedback platform rolled out company-wide from the intern to the CEO. Our clients’ staff use it to give and receive feedback about their work, to set goals and objectives, organize one-on-one meetings, and to praise each other for a job well done.
We’ve got a very strong customer team in place, that we’re now looking to grow with a friendly and proactive customer support representative who is keen to work full-time remotely. You’ll cover the US eastern time zones, thus linking our Berlin-based development HQ and our SF-based customer team. You’ll answer tough questions from our clients’ administrators, provide feedback on customer experience to the development team, and help us make our clients successful.
What you’ll do
The role is mainly about helping clients when they run into questions or bugs with the product, but there are also aspects of customer success, account management, QA and product management. It’s a perfect fit for a well-rounded person that likes workplace flexibility and variety.
Key tasks would be:
- Timely responses to the online support tickets filed by our clients. Our customers can reach out with tough questions or bugs, so it’s important to think like the customer and propose a solution or workaround. We have a SLA of 24 hours and primarily use email, but we aren’t afraid to jump on the phone.
- Working closely with our sales and customer success team to develop key accounts, recognize pain points and opportunities for helping a customer succeed long term.
- Feedback to the development and product team. It’s important to us to improve the product based on the common questions we get from clients.
- Updating documentation and product testing. It’s also an opportunity for you to get involved in updating our documentation or testing, and giving feedback to, new features our development team are working on.
- Troubleshooting bugs and working closely with developers to manage a reported bug from start to finish.
Who we’re looking for
3+ years of experience supporting SAAS software: Our product is a web-based SAAS solution, so experience in customer support with comparable online products is a must. Experience with software QA is a plus.
Familiar with online support tool sets: You should be familiar with online support software like Zendesk or Helpscout, and using online tools like Trello. Familiarity with tools like Statuspage for use during app outages is a plus.
You write well and aren’t afraid to jump on the phone: Most communication does happen in writing, so it’s important that you get your message across at high quality. Your first chance to prove this is your cover letter! You should also be comfortable helping customers over the phone.
Experience with remote work: There are many advantages to working from home: No commute, flexible location, and more. It’s not as if you’ll be entirely on your own — we communicate constantly using Hangouts, Slack, and Confluence. (Plus we’ll fly you over to SF and Berlin once a year) Our satellite workers are of the self-driven, comfortably autonomous variety though. So if you are naturally a self-starter and very proactive about keeping everyone in the loop, you’ll fit right in!
Technical plus charming: You need to be tech-savvy and a fast learner, as our product is complex and contains some very technical aspects. It’s not uncommon to troubleshoot a customer issue using system audit logs.
You pay attention to detail: Our product is very broad and deep, and customer inquiries can be quite tricky. You need to be able to pick up small details in support tickets, and also read between the lines.
Willingness to go the extra mile: It’s not about answering tickets as quickly as possible. It’s about answering questions as successfully as possible and spending extra effort to point out even better solutions.
Having an interest in HR related topics is a major plus.
More reasons to work at SI
- We’re international: We sell mainly to the US and to Australia, and all our written communication is in English.
- We’re self-funded, transparent and profitable, and our customer base is growing.
- We frequently ship new features and focus on quality product rather than on aggressive sales.
- There are very few regular meetings, and processes are kept to a bare minimum. Need to improve some process? Just do it!
- You’re invited to visit our Berlin head office for three weeks once a year and we cover the costs. Take an office tour.
- We care about our employees’ happiness. Check-out what they are saying about working here.
And we love to travel! Check out our recent company trip:
We’d love to find our perfect match! Don’t waste time polishing your CV, a LinkedIn profile will do. But please write a nice cover letter to explain why you feel you’d be a good fit. We’d also like you to spend some time answering some questions that you can find on the application form here. We’re looking forward to hearing from you!
Interested in the position? We’d love to learn more about you and are looking forward to receive your résumé! As you will see, we also care a lot about a friendly application explaining why you’d be a good fit for this role at Small Improvements, and the impact you had and what you learned in your previous company or projects. (Small Improvements is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.)