Junior Software Developer
Junior Full-Stack Software Developer/Engineer
Help make work a better place
Employees at SoundCloud, Duolingo, GetYourGuide and many more use Small Improvements for regular check-ins with their managers, peer feedback, goal setting, and to give each other positive feedback.
Do you want to help make work a better place? You can support us in our mission by shaping and evolving our product vision, and building and implementing the features to get us there.
Who we are
We’re a passionate and friendly team of 15 people mainly based in Berlin, with some colleagues working remotely in the US. We don’t take ourselves too seriously and work is rarely boring with all our different nationalities and backgrounds.
We’re looking for a Junior Software Developer to join our team in Berlin. You may choose to work full-time or four days a week. We’re a remote-friendly company and are open to applicants that live in Germany or are willing to relocate. Work from home or in the office it’s completely up to you.
Learn more about our development team at our tech blog, where you will also find interviews with our developers.
What you’ll do
Our development team currently consists of five developers. You will join them in maintaining and improving our product. We work in a Scrum environment and our sprints are well organized.
More specifically, you will:
- Dive into the existing codebase and improve our features
- Define and develop new features together with the team based on customer feedback and perhaps data you manage to find (e.g. in our BigQuery-based data warehouse)
- Maintain our application by fixing bugs and ideally making sure they never reappear
- Work directly with our customers to support them and gather feedback
Who we’re looking for
We’re looking for someone who likes to get things done and who loves working with different people and has a great appetite for learning new things and honing their skills.
To be successful we think the following is important:
- Strong fundamentals in object-oriented programming or modern frontend development. Ideally, with some experience of Java, Spring, TypeScript or React.
- Basic knowledge of interaction design. There’s no need to be an expert, but what you build should be usable and you should be able to reason about its usability.
- Interested in system architecture and clean code. We have a monolithic application and use many ideas from DDD, Clean Architecture, Software Crafts(wo)manship and Functional Programming to name a few.
- While you are passionate about creating great technical solutions, you ultimately see programming as a tool to create value for humans.
More reasons to work at SI
- We value growth and are all keen on continuously learning and improving. Our highly experienced developers will help you accelerate your own development.
- We’re international: We sell mainly to the US and to Australia, and all our written communication is in English.
- We’re self-funded and profitable — our only “investors” are our amazing customers who have helped us grow our customer base largely through word of mouth.
- We balance life at work with life outside of work, and we don’t believe in overtime.
- We’re serious about our open and tolerant company culture, and we believe diversity makes our culture and our product better.
- We want to do well by doing good, so we turn down dodgy clients and donate 2% of our profits to charity.
- Our office near Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz in Berlin is stylish yet cozy, if you’d like to work from there.
- There are free snacks, fresh fruit, juices, tea and lemonades, you can make your own lattes with our amazing coffee machine, and we never run out of Club Mate.
Send us an email telling why Small Improvements sounds interesting to you. You can include a CV or a link to your LinkedIn if you feel that’s equivalent. If you have a Github account with some public code, please include it! If you have no code/project you can share that you are proud of, or are just up for a challenge, please do our flexible tic-tac-toe coding challenge and include the code with your application.
Please send us your relevant details to firstname.lastname@example.org